Saturday, January 1, 2011

Out with the Old, In with the New

I think I just experienced the best New Year’s Eve, I ever have. I’m taking this as a sign that 2011 is going to be my year. I’ve been repeating that statement in my head for the last few weeks. I don’t really make resolutions; just statements that I hope to make happen. I am looking forward to 2011 being the year I look back on many years from now, and say, "that that was the beginning of the best years of my life." It certainly had a good start.

New Year’s Eve past we have spent with my brother and sister in law and kids, visiting each other when we lived far away, and now that we live closer, going out to an early dinner, catching a movie, walking around outside somewhere. This year we decided to visit some parts of our city we have never been to. I always forget how much I love the hustle and bustle of city life. I love the country, but when I get into the city, a part of me that I forgot about comes to life.



I loved the color and life at The Farmers Market. I loved the fact that these were families working together to sell their hard work. There was such a sense of camaraderie there. We picked up the most amazing red raspberries, a beautiful pineapple, sweet oranges, and the best darn asparagus and green beans I have ever seen. From the bakery aisles we added chocolaty brownies, peppermint cannoli’s and my son found a fun Japanese bottle of soda.

We drove through the old section of the suburbs that makes you think how amazing life must have been back in the day when the hotels were still grand hotels and not apartment buildings. We passed the gorgeous churches, and schools whose architecture just blows you away. We drove through streets of homes that make you wonder where are all of those people work? Who still pays the kind of money they must make to just keep those homes heated??

We ate an early dinner in our city’s Little Italy section, and then stopped at the local Italian bakery for Latte’s and more goodies.



We watched the movie The Town, once we got home, all of us with stomach aches from so much good food. I really liked this movie. Ben did a much better job than I thought he would have. This might be right up there with one of my all time faves in that genre – Heat.

Then we watched the best of Jimmy Fallon and I realized just how talented he is and funny. We even sat in a stupor watching an infomercial of romantic 70’s songs CD collection. The kids were horrified by the outfits and hairdo’s as were we, however, we knew every single word to those songs.

The best part was the easy company, trying out new things, and WAIT FOR IT………

When the ball dropped (awwww Dick, what to say about you, I am perplexed)

And it was 2011…..


I GOT KISSED. Properly.

And that my friends, made for a great year to come. I am pretty darn sure of it.